Facebook Twitter Gplus LinkedIn RSS
Home » Blog » Whipped Completely Re-coded in Swift

Whipped Completely Re-coded in Swift

I underestimated just how easy it would be to pickup the basics of Xcode and Swift. Of course, completely rewriting the language gives ample opportunities to improve the process, but also using Xcode 7 has really been a treat. It has been roughly two years since I was last messing with iOS Apps, and back then, I was using Xcode 4. So three versions in two years is definitely a pretty rapid development cycle, especially when you factor in a new programming language as well.

Without further ado, I present to you the new look of my “infamous” Whipped App, as seen on television’s The Big Bang Theory!


The App really isn’t anything special as far as amazing Apps go, but it does touch on a number of mobile development basics. After today, I feel very comfortable navigating around Xcode, and I am really amazed at how much easier it is to use today. A perfect example would be yesterday when I was trying to deploy my code to my physical iPhone device. Traditionally this was a really painful process to setup, involving private keys, code signing, unique identifiers, and online registration with Apple. You can imagine my annoyance when I received the following error:


At this point, my App was working fine on the iOS simulator and there really was no indication what the heck this error meant. Googling the issue only introduced more questions pointing to non-existent configuration files that I supposedly needed to alter or ID strings that I would need to change in obscure XML configuration files. It immediately reminded me of the “old days”, and I immediately needed to take a break.

After a nice snack, a bathroom break, and a little time to unwind, I started to once again mess with the iOS Provisioning Profiles, comparing the unique identifiers to the ones registered with Apple. I finally figured it all out when I renamed my App to “Whipped2” and it all immediately worked! Of course, I couldn’t leave it with this name, because then I would have two of the same App on the App Store (if Apple would even allow that), but it pointed to some sort of problem with my App’s registration with Apple.

Long story short, I needed to renew my iOS Provisioning Profile and explicitly select it in Xcode. Once that was done, everything “just worked”. While it certainly was an annoyance, let’s keep things in perspective here. I didn’t have to create no keypairs. I didn’t have to manually run any command line tools to sign my code. I didn’t have to download a certificate or two from Apple’s website, nor did I need to hunt around for the perfect location on my hard drive to place it so that Xcode could load it properly. I just needed to toggle a few options and click a few buttons. We certainly have come a long way in two years!


We have one last step, and that is to submit the new App to Apple. I still need to wait until the official release of iOS 9, I think, before I can submit the App to the App Store. So until then, you have a limited time to download the old clunky version!!! Swarm Swarm!

About the Author: Sprawl

Stephen Russell is a Mobile App developer and all around IT geek that spends his days running data centers and his nights coding. This site is the go to place for all of zSprawl's work and the infamous development blog. In his free time, he enjoys tinkering with web code, playing video games, and otherwise plotting to take over the Internets.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

© 2012 zSprawl's zApps

Fork me on GitHub