This evening’s frustrations can best be summarized in one long scream of Gooooooogle at the top of my lungs as I ask myself “Where is the Data Sources tab in AdSense?”.
As you may have noticed at the top-right corner of this page, I’ve added Google AdSense to my website here. I wanted to link this to Google Analytics. Right on the home page in AdSense there is a link to do this.
You would think, after all, that tracking impressions, clicks, and other ad related activities is something people would be interested in tracking. This has to be simple, right? Well, it probably is for some people, but I went in circles dozens of times. So many that I took some screenshots to help other people that may Google in frustration and find this blog.
Here are the basic directions:
- Click the Admin tab at the top right of the Google Analytics Account Home page.
- Click the account to which you want to link your AdSense account.
- If you didn’t start from the Analytics Account Home page, then at the top left of the page you’re on, click the link for the account you want to link (All Accounts > account you want to link).
- Click the Data Sources tab.
- Click the AdSense tab.
- Click Link Accounts and specify your primary domain and Analytics profile.
To be honest, it really isn’t that hard to setup once you do it once; however, if you have multiple sites, you have to do a bit of extra clicking on step 2 to get to the “account level” to find the Data Sources tab mentioned in step 4.